Wednesday 14 January 2015

Vanity - Vain in Life (Katorga Works - 2014)



First review of 2015, woohoo ! And what better way to start it than with one of 2014's late gem, namely Vanity's Vain in Life LP ? 
Now I have to admit I had completely missed Vanity's 3-tracks cassette (from 2013, on Rock'n'Roll Disgrace), mainly because I don't own a cassette player, and I like to play records that I buy (otherwhise there's no point owning them). So if you did the same, know that this 2-men band is composed of people from or formerly from bands like The Rival Mob or CREEM. Pretty solid basis, but don't be fooled, Vanity has not much to do with these bands. If you're into '77 punk/early Oi! (let's say Slaugther and the Dogs, Chelsea and the likes of it) or more simply All Skrewed Up by Skrewdriver, you are gonna love that record. Rock'n'roll-ish as fuck, dirty sounds, light-boostered guitars, rough (like in "Can't Be Bothered") to clear (in "Bal des Ardents", for example) vocals, everything is perfect in that record.
Twelve songs on that marvellous LP, and they're all good, but if I had to pick my favourites it would be "Can't Be Bothered", "Fuck Right Off" and "The King Drinks", but really, it's a really a all killer no filler.


Here you go, the whole record is even on Youtube. Listen to it, feel the awesomeness of it all and buy that shit quick !

That last mentioned song fits perfectly the cover by the way : the king drinks and it's bloody fucking medieval chaos (I wonder if my own king, the mighty Carl XVI Gustaf, does the same, but he probably does 'cause the guys is a real player), even though the first time I saw the cover I thought this was a gangsta-HC band (mainly because of the band name's font). But I usualy don't judge a record by its cover (even if a nice artwork is always a plus when buying a record that I don't know), and fuck I was right not to in Vanity's case.
You still can find it in some mailorders (like Contra or Rebellion, who is, by the way, going to release a CD version of the record), but hurry up, because this is going to sold out quick, and then it's gonna be to late and you'll regret it !

No comments:

Post a Comment